Box 4: Lamb mince shepherd's pie
Shepherd's pie is a brilliant batch cook meal to enjoy as leftover freeze well and can be heated easily. Meat Box 4 contains 1kg of mince (2 x 500g packs) so. we love to double this recipe and either make two (freezing one complete meal for the future) or making one large pie and freezing individual portions of leftovers to enjoy whenever your need a ready meal or lunch. Pies don't have to be round so cook this in whatever ovenproof bakeware that you've got.
4 - 6 serves per 500g of mince
1 tbsp tallow
500g lamb mince
1 large onion grated
3 cloves garlic grated
1 large carrot grated
2 tbsp tomato pure
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ cup red wine (optional)
300g chicken stock
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp rosemary chopped
1 bay leaf
1 kg potatoes cut into cubes (or sweet potato)
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp sour cream
½ parmesan cheese
3 egg yolks
- Add the tallow to large to medium pan, melt then add the lamb mince. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 2-5 minutes.
- Remove any excess fat from the pan and grate your onion, garlic and carrot into the pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked and mixed together.
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Now is a good time to put your cubed potatoes into a pot and cover with cold water, turn the heat on high and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add to your mince mixture the Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste, cook for a minute then add the red wine. Cook for 2-3 mins then add the herbs and chicken stock. Cook this for 3-6 minutes on high to help the chicken stock reduce.
- Your potatoes should be done at this point, strain and put your sour cream, milk, butter, egg yolks and parmesan into the potatoes and mash and then season.
- Spread the mince evenly into the bottom of a baking tray then add the creamy mash, spread evenly and then rough up the top with a fork to create crispy bits!
- Bake till golden brown, about 30-45 min.