Ayurvedic Spiced Lamb Curry: Meat Box 3
Packed with vitamins and minerals (hello B12, B3, zinc, phosphorus and iron) as well as potent Ayurvedic spices that are great for boosting immunity and digestion we love the nurturing feel of this recipe and how good the house smells when it’s cooking. This recipe stars 100% grass fed lamb shanks and neck chops from Meat Box 3 from the Ethical Farmers regenerative farm in Dungog, NSW. You can also purchase these items from EF individually.
Serves 4 - 6
500g lamb shanks (about 2 pieces) + 500g lamb neck chops
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
2 red chillies
10cm piece ginger peeled
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground fenugreek
1 tbsp chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cloves
3 tbsp tomato paste
800g tomato passata
1 cup filtered water
500g natural yoghurt
- Pre-heat your oven to 140c.
- Brown all sides of the lamb in a hot casserole pot in 25g of ghee.
- While the lamb is browning place all the spices, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, tomato paste and olive oil into a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. You could use a pestle and mortar if you don’t have a processor.
- Once the lamb is browned, remove from the pot and set aside. Place the remaining ghee into the into the pot, melt, then add the paste from the food processor. Cook on medium to low heat for 10-15 min. The paste will stick a little pot a little but that’s fine this will add more flavour to the curry, just make sure not to burn it.
- Once the paste has cooked, add a cup of filtered water to the dish and scrap the bottom of the pot.
- Add the passata and mix well, rinse out the jar with a splash of filtered water and add to the pot.
- Add the lamb, make sure most of the lamb is covered in the sauce, place the lid on and put the pot in the pre heated oven.
- Slowly cook for 6 hrs or until meat falls off the bone. You could also cook in your slow cooker.
- Remove from the oven, pull the meat from the bones and combine with the sauce in the dish along with the yoghurt.
- Serve with rice, fresh coriander and cucumber slices.