Meat box 3: Chicken and chorizo pasta
We love chorizo for it’s flavour. Whether it’s in bean and vegetable soups, baked eggs or in this case an indulgent pasta, it brings flavour to the table in spades. Here we combine it with egg yolks, chicken thighs and bone broth.
Serves 4 - 6
500g pasta of choice
200g chorizo (or 1 packet is about 240g), diced
500g chicken thighs, diced
1 red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced or minced
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp marjoram
2 tbs tomato paste
300g chicken stock or broth
½ cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
4 egg yolks (save the whites to up the protein content in scrambled eggs for breakfast tomorrow)
100g parmesan, grated
- Add the diced chorizo to a cold pan and turn it on to medium heat, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions & garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add add the chicken, marjoram & chilli flakes and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, place a pot of water on for the pasta and season well, cook pasta as packet instructions.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked through, add the tomato paste and cook for a minute.
- Next, add the chicken stock and turn the heat to high. Reduce the sauce, cooking on high for about 5 mins, then add the cream and turn the heat down to low.
- Take a cup of pasta water out of the pot and set aside.
- Remove the pasta from heat, drain and combine in the pot with the sauce. Take the pan of the heat and add in the egg yolks, parmesan and fresh herbs. Add a little pasta water at a time and keep stirring, stop when you are happy with the consistency. Season with salt and pepper and serve.