Box 2: Chicken mince pesto pasta
This quick dinner recipe can be made in just 15 minutes. It’s a crowd pleaser so we’d recommend you double the recipe and have a few containers of leftovers in the fridge or freezer. We love it with nutty wholemeal or spelt spirals where the sauce can really coat the pasta. We’ll often add some extra green in as well—use up leftover veg from the fridge or add some frozen spinach.
Serves 4 per 500g of mince
1 tsp butter
500g chicken mince
200g pesto (good quality store bought or homemade)
200g cream (pure cream, no thickeners)
1 brown onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
500g pasta of your choice (great with wholemeal or spelt spirals)
100ml pasta water
2 egg yolks
Salt & pepper
- Bring a seasoned pot of water to boil.
- While the water reaches boil, place the butter, diced onion and garlic into a medium to high heat pan. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Add pesto and cream.
- Add pasta to water and set a timer to undercook by 1-2 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking add the mince to the pesto sauce, cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove 100ml of pasta water from the pot and drain your pasta. Add the pasta to your pesto sauce and combine.
- Stir in yolks, parmesan, salt and pepper and some of the pasta water to achieve the sauce consistency you like.